Step-by-step instructions for getting to San Cristobal, Galapagos, Ecuador. There are NO direct flights from the USA. You must first travel to either Guayaquil, Ecuador or Quito, Ecuador. From Quito, EC or Guayaquil, EC you must fly into San Cristobal.
There is another airport (Baltra) that is on an island from where an uncomfortable ferry boat ride or a charter flight would need to be arranged. Savvy travelers make sure they fly into San Cristobal.
Travel times to the Galapagos
From New York or Newark, NJ to Guayaquil, EC – approx 6 hours
From Guayaquil, EC to San Cristobal, Galapagos, EC – approx 1.5 hours
Note: All flights to San Cristobal leave early in the morning. This means that red-eye flights from the USA are preferred unless you want to spend a day in Guayaquil (see lodging recommedations for Guayaquil).
Guayaquil is quite nice and a sightseeing tour can be arranged. This is also a great place to re-acclimate after a long stay in the Galapagos before heading back to the the grind.
Transfer Instruction for Guayaquil to San Cristobal
- Exit the plane and pass through customs
- Claim your checked baggage and pass through an X-ray inspection of ALL your bags
- Go upstairs to the departure level
- Locate the agricultural inspection station (middle of the kiosk area)
- Produce your passport, pay a $10 CASH park fee, and receive a receipt that will allow you to get your boarding passes
- The inspection station also includes an X-ray of all your bags where your checked baggage will be sealed with a special zip-tie (which will be removed in San Cristobal)
- Locate the airline kiosk for your flight to San Cristobal, show your inspection receipt, check your bags, and get your boarding passes
- Proceed to the Domestic departure area and fly to San Cristobal
- Upon arrival in San Cristobal you will need to pay $100 CASH fee to enter the park
- Claim your luggage and start your adventure!